Virtual visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
Teens Working on Wellness (Teen WOW) is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary program to help severely obese teens stop further weight gain and achieve steady weight loss goals of a half a pound to 2 pounds per week. Through clinic visits, our patients receive education and support from licensed experts in medicine, nutrition, psychology and exercise physiology.
Teen WOW is offered to teens 12 to 18 years old who are ready to make a radical lifestyle change and begin a steady weight loss regimen. Patients will consult with their medical provider or a registered dietitian every 4 to 6 weeks, while receiving individual behavioral health sessions focused on exercise, nutrition and emotional well being.
To become a part of Teen Wow, patients must have:
- A diagnosis of BMI greater than the 99th percentile to address weight management only and its related health problems
- Weight related medical comorbidity
- Referral to Adolescent Medicine at Texas Children’s Hospital Main Campus
- Completion of brief online orientation by parent and patient
*Program requirements are subject to change.
*Only those completing orientation and meeting criteria will be scheduled
What to expect on your first visit
Please arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to your first appointment time.
Check-in (~15 minutes): You will be weighed in a gown after using the bathroom. You will get dressed after check-in.
Surveys (~30 minutes): You will answer several written questions that we will use to identify any specific needs.
Medical history and physical exam (~45 minutes):
- Medical and family history.
- The teenager will be interviewed alone for part of the visit.
- A complete physical exam will be done.
Dietitian (~45 minutes)
- We prefer you have a dietitian visit the same day as the first medical visit.
- You will get a nutrition change plan.
Fitness Testing (~45 minutes)
- Endurance, strength, balance and coordination testing
Check out (~5-10 minutes): Schedule follow-up visits and receive forms for any additional studies.
Follow-up: You will see the medical provider and dietitian every 4 to 6 weeks to monitor progress and adjust goals and plans as needed. Be aware that how often you are seen may differ based on your specific needs.
We ask for a 6 month commitment to the program.
- Sharonda Alston Taylor, MD, FAAP, FSAHM, Diplomat ABOM
Teen WOW Medical Director
- Beth Garland, PhD
Teen WOW Director of Behavioral Health
- Meg Mathias, MS, RD, LD