Video visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
Refer a Patient
Texas Children's Kangaroo Crew® works with referring physicians to offer specialized care to premature infants, babies and children with serious or life-threatening conditions.
A call to Kangaroo Crew's 24/7 command center sets in motion an exemplary team with highly trained staff, modern fleet and state-of-the-art specialized equipment. Within as little as 30 minutes we're on the way, with a care plan crafted by the nation’s leading neonatal and pediatric subspecialists and a strategy that begins the patient's healing even before arrival at Texas Children's. Every step of the way, we communicate closely with the referring physician to ensure optimal continuum of care and recovery.
Transport of a patient to Texas Children's on Kangaroo Crew® must be requested by a physician.
To arrange transport of a patient to Texas Children's Hospital, call:
- 832-824-5550 in Houston
- 877-770-5550 (toll-free) outside Houston area
The Kangaroo Crew command center is operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
When you call Texas Children's Kangaroo Crew®:
- A trained communications specialist asks questions on a recorded line to acquire basic patient information. This includes a brief patient history and patient location details.
- The transport nurse obtains clinical information and immediately consults the appropriate medical command physician about the case.
- The staff begins a plan of care.
- Appropriate pediatric medical experts are contacted.
- At the same time, the team gathers supplies and special equipment.
- In transit, the transport team communicates with the referring physician or nurse and gives special instructions.
When Texas Children's Kangaroo Crew® arrives to complete the transfer, please have ready:
- Copy of medical record
- Copy of X-rays
- Physician order stating "Transfer patient to Texas Children's Hospital by Kangaroo Crew”
- Signed Memorandum of Transfer (M.O.T.)
Physicians are welcome to call the Kangaroo Crew® command center or one of the following physicians to discuss challenging cases.
- Dr. Eric Williams, chief of Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Dr. Jeanine Graf, medical director of pediatric transport
- Dr. Caraciolo Fernandes, medical director of neonatal transport