Virtual visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
Child Life Department
At Texas Children’s Hospital, we understand a visit to the hospital can be challenging for your child and family. The Child Life Department at Texas Children's Hospital, working as part of a comprehensive health care team, strives to alleviate stress and anxiety, while promoting positive coping for patients and families during their time here.
Our team works to provide developmental, educational and therapeutic interventions to support children and families as they adjust to the hospital experience.
Child life specialists focus on the psychosocial needs of children, collaborating with parents and other health care staff to:
- Ease a child's fear and anxiety with therapeutic and recreational play activities
- Encourage understanding and cooperation by providing preparation and support for children undergoing tests, surgeries and other medical procedures
- Advocate for patient and family-centered care
- Engage and energize children and families by coordinating special events, entertainment and activities
- Consider the needs of siblings or other children who may also be affected by a child's illness or trauma
- Offer pre-admission hospital tours, resources, and consultations for outpatient families
- Support families confronting grief and bereavement issues
- Provide education and resources for parents and members of the interdisciplinary team
Go Gold: Dr. Blaney, Pawsitive Paws
Texas Children’s play garden provides outdoor fun for patients, families
Texas Children’s new robot helps patients during medical procedures