Virtual visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
What is Music Therapy?
Music Therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program (American Music Therapy Association, 2017).
Music Therapy Services include:
- Active music engagement
- Developmental stimulation through music
- Movement to music
- Music videos and audio recordings
- Patient- or infant-directed singing
- Therapeutic music instruction
These interventions can facilitate the following therapeutic outcomes:
- Decreased stress and anxiety
- Decreased pain perception
- Improved self concept and confidence
- Legacy building and memory making
- Opportunity for developmental/academic advancement
- Parent and caregiver psychosocial support
- Positive and normalized social experience
Music Therapy at Texas Children's Hospital
Here at Texas Children’s Hospital, music therapists create a safe environment for patients and families to relax, have fun, learn, grow, and express themselves through music.
As part of a diverse, interdisciplinary team, our music therapists currently provide individual, group, and co-treatment sessions on the following inpatient units:
- Acute Care
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Critical Care
- Heart Center
- Individual consults/referrals as available
The music therapy team is also happy to offer music therapy services to TCH staff in the form of the TCH Ukulele Choir and Good Grief Group. The Ukulele Choir practices weekly and often goes care-o-ling around TCH to lift the spirits of patients and visitors. We welcome new members at any time, no experience required! Good Grief Group is a music therapy support group for staff who experience grief in their roles at the hospital. For more information about either group, or to schedule a Ukulele Choir performance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Healing Notes Volunteer Program
- Music Therapy Educational / Shadowing Opportunities
- Music Therapy Internship
- Elise's Legacy Library
Please contact email@example.com to learn more about the Music Therapy Program.