Virtual visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
At Texas Children’s Hospital we believe that maintaining your child’s educational needs are important. We want you to feel supported in helping your child with their school work while advocating for their educational needs. When a child is hospitalized, keeping up with school work can provide structure, a distraction from illness, and a focus on a future outside of the hospital.
School plays a critical role in every child's life. At Texas Children’s Hospital we offer two different educational programs to meet your child’s individual needs. By participating in either school program, your child can continue to achieve their academic goals and interact with peers.
The Learning Lab
The Learning Lab serves all students who are hospitalized at Texas Children’s Hospital but focuses support to those students not enrolled in the HISD program (see below). The Learning Lab encourages patients to use books and assignments from their home school to work on while they are hospitalized. Your child’s school can send assignments by email to email@example.com or fax them to 832-825-1291.
Our School Coordinators are able to facilitate educational needs with your child’s school and continue your child’s education during hospitalization. This can be particularly important if your child will be at Texas Children’s Hospital for an extended hospitalization, will need to make repeat visits, is in advanced academics, or is simply worried about missing school and making up work.
By attending the Learning Lab your child will:
- Receive one-on-one instruction in the Learning Lab or at the bedside by volunteers who are retired teachers, college students, or people who are experts in their fields of study
- Engage in course specific tutoring
- Receive hands on instruction in a group setting
- Receive all accommodations and modifications per their Section 504 or Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
How it works:
- If your child is currently in the hospital, please contact the Child Life Activity Coordinator on your floor or call 61624 to request a tutor.
- The school coordinator will visit with you and contact your child’s school to obtain work and develop an individual plan for your child.
- School work will be emailed or faxed back to the school for grading.
Houston ISD Community Services
If your child is admitted into the hospital for a longer period of time, they have the option to enroll in the Houston Independent School District (HISD) Community Services school program at Texas Children’s Hospital (TEC, §25.001).
By enrolling in HISD at Texas Children’s Hospital your child will:
- Be educated by Texas certified teachers
- Maintain curriculum continuity and earn high school credits
- Be instructed either in the learning lab or at the bedside
- Develop and maintain Section 504 plans or Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
- Arrange for homebound instruction upon discharge
School is scheduled around therapies and medical treatments, and always considers your child’s medical condition each day prior to school.
To arrange for your child to participate in the HISD School Program at Texas Children’s Hospital, please contact the Child Life Activity Coordinator or Certified Child Life Specialist on your floor or email the school program at firstname.lastname@example.org.