2020 Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands Diabetes Management of School Age Children Conference
Join Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands for a full-day nursing professional development course geared toward school healthcare providers. This course is designed to meet the educational needs of school nurses, dietitians and other healthcare providers in managing students with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
Saturday, February 29, 2020 | 8 AM-5 PM
Lone Star College System Office Conference Center
5000 Research Forest Drive
The Woodlands, Texas 77381
Early Bird: From December 9, 2019 - January 31, 2020
- Non-TCH RN: $85
- Non-RN: $55
- TCH staff: waived
Late Registration: From February 1, 2020 – February 21, 2020
- Non-TCH RN: $100
- Non-RN: $70
- TCH staff: waived
Credit card payment is the only acceptable form of payment for registration.
Registration closes on Friday, 2/14/2020 at 5:00pm
No onsite registration will be accepted
This program is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses, dietitians and other healthcare providers who care for diabetic school age children.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided
- 8:00am - 8:05am: Housekeeping and Instructions - Rebecca Hutchinson, BSN, RN, CDE
- 8:05am - 9:00am: Understanding the Pathophysiology of Type 1 and 2 Diabetes – Bonnie McCann-Crosby, MD
- 9:00am - 10:00am: Carbohydrate Counting for Insulin Administration in the School Setting - Katelyn Yzquierdo, MS, RD, CSP, LD
- 10:00am - 10:15am: Break
- 10:15am - 10:45am: Managing Blood Glucose for Exercise - Debbie Featherston, MS, RD, CDE, LD
- 10:45am - 11:30am: Socioeconomic Status and Diabetes: Removing Barriers to Improve Outcomes - Rebecca Butler, LMSW
- 11:30am - 12:15pm: Diabetes Technology 101: Pumps, CGM's, and Trends, Oh, My! - Rebecca Hutchinson, BSN, RN, CDE
- 12:15pm - 1:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm: Panel Discussion: Pump Failures, Hypoglycemia, Hyperglycemia-Preparing You for the Unexpected - Debbie Featherston, MS, RD, CDE, LD; Sonia Guerra, RN, CDE; Brook Marvin, MS, RD, CDE, LD; Rebecca Hutchinson, BSN, RN, CDE
Participants will rotate through each presentation every 30 minutes
- 2:00pm - 2:30pm: Hands on Demonstration Device Management: Medtronic
- 2:30pm - 3:00pm: Hands on Demonstration Device Management: Dexcom
- 3:00pm - 3:30pm: Break
- 3:30pm - 4:00pm: Hands on Demonstration Device Management: Tandem
- 4:00pm - 4:30pm: Hands on Demonstration Device Management: Omnipod
- 4:30pm - 5:00pm: Hands on Demonstration Device Management: Diabetes Mathematics: Calculating Insulin Using ICR - Sonia Guerra, RN, CDE
- 5:10pm - 5:30pm: Questions & Conclusion
Parking will be complimentary. Once you drive into the campus, please turn right and self-park in the surface lot in front of the Lone Star Community Building (Conference Center).
For questions on this conference, contact Jennifer H. Bailey, Community Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com or 936-267-5285.
Texas Children’s Hospital is an approved provider with distinction of nursing continuing professional development by the Texas Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This nursing continuing professional development activity awards 5.5 contact hours.
Texas Children’s Hospital is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited provider with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). CDR Credentialed Practitioners will receive 5.5 Continuing Professional Education units (CPEUs) for completion of this activity/material.
All presenters have reported no relationships with proprietary entities related to the content of this activity. Persons involved in the planning of this activity have reported no relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest.