Texas Children’s Hospital offers multiple services for the care of obesity patients. To refer your pediatric patient to one of these services, please review the service criteria and complete the associated steps:
Bariatric Surgery may be appropriate in adolescents to reverse serious medical conditions and put them on the path to life-long health. To be considered for bariatric surgery, patients must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Be between 15 to 18 years of age
- BMI of 40 or greater
- One or more obesity-related comorbidities such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, psuedotumor cerebri, fatty liver disease, other
To refer your patient to Bariatric Surgery, please download the referral form (link) and fax to 832-824-7333.
The department of Gastroenterology only accepts obesity referrals for patients with a diagnosed comorbidity of:
- Elevated liver enzymes (AST or ALT >1.5 x upper limit of normal per lab AND elevated for at least 3 months (2 or more measures))
To refer your patient to Gastroenterology, please complete the online referral form (link).
Teen Wow is a multidisciplinary program to help severely obese teens stop further weight gain and achieve steady weight loss goals. Teen Wow is offered to patients that meet the following criteria:
- Be between 12 and 18 years of age
- BMI greater than 95th percentile
To refer your patient to Teen Wow, please complete the online referral form to Adolescent Medicine (link).
The Saturday Wellness Program focuses on the wellness of children and families through facilitated play, exercise, nutrition classes, and more. To qualify for this program, at least one child must meet the following criteria:
- Be between 6 and 16 years of age
- Have a special health care need such as BMI greater than 85th percentile, elevated cholesterol, or metabolic syndrome
To refer your patient/family to the Saturday Wellness Program, please download the referral form (link) and fax to 832-825-3902.