Sports Physical Therapy Residency
Our 13-month sports physical therapy residency focuses on developing advanced clinical skills, education, clinical research and leadership.
The Texas Children’s Hospital sports physical therapy residency is designed to graduate leaders and innovators in the field of sports medicine. The 13-month program is focused on developing advanced clinical skills, research experience, and leadership.
Residents train one on one with board certified sports physical therapists (SCS), physicians, and surgeons. Baylor College of Medicine’s Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, Texas Woman’s University Department of Physical Therapy and our community affiliations with youth, high school, and collegiate sports programs provide an unparalleled learning opportunity with access to leaders in field of sports medicine.
At Texas Children's Hospital, we train sports physical therapy residents to become tomorrow’s leaders in Sports Medicine.
The Texas Children’s Hospital Sports Residency exists to develop physical therapy clinicians who will positively impact the profession and healthcare through advanced clinical practice, education, research, and leadership in sports physical therapy.
The following are requirements for admission to Texas Children’s Hospital Sports Residency:
- Graduation from an accredited physical therapy program
- Proof of current physical therapy license in the state of Texas
- Meet all eligibility for Texas Children’s Hospital employees
- Possess one of the following prior to starting the residency program: current ATC designation, a current EMT license or certification as an Emergency Responder
- Complete application through RF-PTCAS (Residency and Fellowship Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service)
- Maintain APTA Membership throughout residency
Fellowship and Application Details
Length of program: 13 months
Application deadline: Please review deadline on RF-PTCAS website
To apply for the residency, the following must be completed and entered into RF-PTCAS prior to the on-site interview:
- Complete RF-PTCAS application
- Official transcripts from every PT U.S. college and university attended
- Correct RF-PTCAS application fee
- Receipt of 3 Letters of Recommendation from professional references (at least one academic faculty member and one clinician familiar with your skills)
1.Support the mission, vision, and guiding principles of TCH by providing expert care to the sports population
2. Prepare curriculum that aligns with APTA’s Sports Description of Specialty practice
3. Develop graduates who are well prepared to take the Sports Certified Specialist exam
4. Provide opportunities to synthesize didactic education into clinical practice
5. Provide opportunities to contribute to evidence-based practice in sports therapy through collaborative research
6. Develop graduates who are leaders in the field of sports physical therapy
7. Our program will be responsive to leadership positions that arise for residents and encourage participation throughout the residency program.
- More than 75 hours of structured didactic education in:
- Faculty presentations
- Clinical lab sessions
- TWU lecture series
- Journal clubs
- Patient Rounds
- More than 150 hours of mentoring provided by a board certified Sports Physical Therapist
- Sports Venue coverage at various athletic sporting events throughout the greater Houston area under the supervision of an athletic trainer or physical therapist
Residents will provide 25 hours per week of direct patient care in our outpatient sports clinics at the Main Campus and our West Campus facilities. The patient caseload will be structured to provide opportunities for the resident to treat a variety of diagnoses and align with the current learning module to apply didactic curriculum.
Provide clinical instruction during the summer to PT students
Lab assistant during orthopedic courses at TWU
- No tuition fees
- Professional liability insurance
- Group term life insurance
- Paid time off (PTO) accrual
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Prescription drug program
- Health Care reimbursement account
- Retirement program
- Meredith Howell
- Burke Wilson
- Sarah Ammons
- Megan Graham
- Timothy Johnson
- Sara McLean
- Nicole Melfi
- Nick Purcell
For questions or more information, email Meredith Howell at email@example.com or call (832) 826-6312.