Virtual visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
Environmental Health Disparities in Pediatric Cancer
The 4th Symposium on Childhood Cancer Health Disparities
presented by Northwestern Mutual Foundation
Texas Children’s Hospital is pleased to announce the 2023 Childhood Cancer Health Disparities Symposium, presented by Northwestern Mutual Foundation, which will be held on Tuesday, September 26, 2023 in the Texas Medical Center.
The role of environmental factors on risk of developing pediatric cancers and their treatment outcomes are not well understood. Technological advancements in exposure assessment methods may help identify important environmental factors but have not been widely adopted in studies of pediatric cancers. Additionally, there are emerging questions related to the impact of climate change on pediatric cancer susceptibility and outcomes, as well as how best to engage communities at risk for environmental injustices. This symposium will bring together a transdisciplinary panel of experts to review the current state of knowledge of environmental risk factors of pediatric cancer, introduce novel exposure assessment tools that can be applied to the field, and highlight opportunities to study the impact that environmental health disparities may contribute to pediatric cancer susceptibility and outcomes.
Registration is free, but space is limited. Reserve your seat today!
View flyer | View agenda (TBA, schedule is subject to change)
Tuesday, September 26, 2023
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
The Duncan Neurological Research Institute at Texas Children's Hospital
1250 Moursund Street
Houston, TX 77030
- Keynote: Zdenko Herceg, PhD – International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
- Manish Arora, PhD, MPH, BDS – Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Dan Coulter, MD – University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Adam de Smith, PhD, MSc – Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California
- Bill Funk, PhD – Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine
- David Haynes, PhD – University of Minnesota
- Thanh Hoang, PhD – Baylor College of Medicine
- Amy Hughes, PhD, MS – Peter O’Donnell Jr. School of Public Health; UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Leticia Nogueira, PhD, MPH – American Cancer Society
This conference is made possible by the generous support of the Northwestern Mutual Foundation. Northwestern Mutual launched its Childhood Cancer Program in 2012, giving all kids the chance to live life to the fullest by accelerating the search for a cure to pediatric cancer while providing support to families battling the disease and survivors struggling with treatment side effects. Learn more at northwesternmutual-foundation.com.