2022 Virtual Diabetes Management Conference for School Nurses
Saturday, February 5, 2022 • 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Join Texas Children’s Hospital for a full-day virtual continuing professional development conference. This conference is designed to meet the educational needs of school nurses, dietitians, social workers and other healthcare providers in managing students with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the school setting. Please scroll down to see the complete conference agenda and additional information.
- $50.00: Non-Texas Children’s Hospital Licensed Professional
- $25.00: Non-Texas Children’s Hospital Unlicensed Professional (no continuing professional education hours will be granted)
- Texas Children's Hospital employees: waived and verified
*Credit card payment is the only acceptable form of payment for registration. Payment is non-refundable.
Registration closed on Thursday, 2/3/2022 at 5:00pm
This program is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses, dietitians, social workers and other healthcare providers who care for school age children with diabetes.
- 8:00 am – 8:05 am: Welcome & Instructions
- 8:05 am - 9:05 am: The Pathophysiology of Type 1 and 2 Diabetes – Bonnie McCann-Crosby, MD
- 9:05 am - 10:05 am: Staying Current with Diabetes Technology: CGM’s, Pumps and Pens – Kelly A. Hicks, MD
- 10:05 am - 10:15 am: Break
- 10:15 am – 11:15 am: Urgent Diabetes Care 101 – Silvia J. Michael, FNP-C and Sem L. Ohland, RD, LD, CDCES
- 11:15 am - 12:00 pm: Insulin to Carbohydrate Ratio Practice – Christina D. Treybig, RN, CDCES
- 12:00 pm - 12:25 pm: Lunch Break
- 12:25 pm – 1:25 pm: Panel Discussion: Real World Scenarios in the School Setting –
- Rebecca A. Butler, LMSW
- Grace Kim, MD
- Suzanne Wheat, NP
- Gerri D. Carlisle, MSN, RN, BC-ADM, CDCES
- 1:25 pm - 2:10 pm: Psychosocial Considerations of Diabetes Care in the School Setting – Katherine A. Gallagher, Ph. D
- 2:10 pm – 2:20 pm: Break
- 2:20 pm – 2:50 pm: Carbohydrate Counting & Carb Count List – Marko I. Paulic, RD, LD, CDCES
- 2:50 pm – 3:00 pm: Contact Hour Instruction
Vendor Virtual Demonstrations - Links to Vendor Demonstrations will be provided in email confirmation once participants register (we will be using MS Teams Meetings platform for this portion)
The vendor demonstration portion of the conference is not inclusive of contact hours.
- 3:00 pm – 3:20 pm: Medtronic (1, 2, 3)
- 3:20 pm – 3:40 pm: Dexcom (1, 2, 3, 4)
- 3:40 pm – 4:00 pm: Abbott (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
- 4:00 pm – 4:20 pm: Tandem (1, 2, 3, 4)
- 4:20 pm – 4:40 pm: Omnipod (1, 2)
- 4:40 pm – 5:00 pm: Invincible Schools (App for School Nurses)
Texas Children's Hospital is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Texas Children's Hospital is an approved continuing education provider through the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners.
This continuing nursing professional development activity awards up to 6.25 contact hours.
Texas Children's Hospital is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited provider with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Continuing Professional Education units (CPEU's) for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Dietetic Technician Registered will be provided.
This continuing professional education activity awards up to 6 CPEU's for registered dietitian nutritionist and dietetic technicians.
All presenters have reported no relationships with proprietary entities related to the content of this activity. Persons involved in the planning of this activity have reported no relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest.
For questions on this conference, contact Jennifer H. Bailey, Community Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-267-5285.