2021 Virtual Diabetes Management Conference for School Nurses
Saturday, February 6, 2021 • 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Join Texas Children’s Hospital for a full-day virtual continuing professional development conference. This conference is designed to meet the educational needs of school nurses, dietitians, social workers and other healthcare providers in managing students with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the school setting.
- $50.00: Non-Texas Children’s Hospital Licensed Professional
- $25.00: Non-Texas Children’s Hospital Unlicensed Professional (no continuing professional education hours will be granted)
- Texas Children's Hospital employees: waived and verified
- Credit card payment is the only acceptable form of payment for registration.
Registration closes on Friday, 2/5/2021 at 5:00pm
This program is designed to meet the educational needs of nurses, dietitians, social workers and other healthcare providers who care for diabetic school age children.
- 8:00 am – 8:05 am: Welcome & Instructions
- 8:05 am - 9:05 am: Pathophysiology of Type 1 and 2 Diabetes and Diabetic Ketoacidosis – Bonnie McCann-Crosby, MD
- 9:05 am - 10:05 am: Understanding Diabetes Technology - Sophia J. Ebenezer, MD
- 10:05 am - 10:15 am: Bathroom Break
- 10:15 am – 11:15 am: How Insulin works – Jennifer J. Bell, MD
- 11:15 am - 12:00 pm: Calculating Insulin to Carbohydrate Ratio – Radhika Koppanur, RD, LD, CDCES
- 12:00 pm - 12:25 pm: Lunch Break
- 12:25 pm – 1:25 pm: Troubleshooting Diabetes Challenges in the School Setting – Silvia J. Michael, NP
- 1:25 pm - 2:10 pm: Socioeconomic Issues Impacting Students with Diabetes – Christina Gleason, LMSW
- 2:10 pm – 2:20 pm: Bathroom Break
- 2:20 pm – 3:05 pm: Carbohydrate Counting for Insulin Administration in the School Setting - Katelyn Yzquierdo, MS, RD, CSP, LD
Vendor Virtual Demonstrations
- 3:10 pm – 5:50 pm: Virtual Device Management Demonstrations will occur every 20 minutes (Vendor Contact Information)
- 5:10 pm-5:30 pm: Questions & Wrap Up
For questions on this conference, contact Jennifer H. Bailey, Community Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-267-5285.
Texas Children's Hospital is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Texas Children's Hospital is an approved continuing education provider through the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners.
This continuing nursing professional development activity awards 6.5 contact hours.
Texas Children's Hospital is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited provider with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Continuing Professional Education units (CPEU's) for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Dietetic Technicians will be provided.
This continuing professional education activity awards 6.25 CPEU's for registered dietitian nutritionist and dietetic technicians.
All presenters have reported no relationships with proprietary entities related to the content of this activity. Persons involved in the planning of this activity have reported no relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest.