2019 Pediatric Transplant Symposium
Friday, May 3, 2019
Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women | 4th Floor Conference Center | 6651 Main St. | Houston | 77030
About the Conference
Join Transplant Services at Texas Children’s Hospital for a day of educational discussions on pediatric transplantation.
Speakers will include experts in heart, kidney, liver and lung transplant; Texas Children’s physicians and surgeons; patient families; and other guest speakers.
The symposium is targeted to a wide array of medical professionals including physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, transplant coordinators, case managers, and more.
Our theme this year is to highlight real world topics related to transplantation. These topics will give medical professionals the information they need to know to help patients and their families achieve success before and after transplantation.
Business casual or hospital attire
May 3, 2019 | Ryan Himes, MD | Emcee
- 8:00 - 8:10AM Welcome and Introduction presented by John Goss, MD, FACS
- 8:10 - 9:10AM Demystifying the System: How Do Recipients Get Their Organs?
- The Organ Procurement Organization (OPO) Perspective presented by Javier Nieto, MD
- The Donor Hospital Perspective presented by Dawn Lynn, BSN, RN, CCRN
- The Procurement Perspective presented by N. Thao Galvan, MD, MPH
- The Transplant Center Perspective presented by Katie Crockett, BSN, RN, CPON
- 9:10 - 9:40AM How to Prepare Patients & Families for the Life Changing Experience of Transplant presented by Devrah Otten, LCSW & Julie Guillen, CCLS
- 9:40 - 9:55AM Transplant Recipient Experience, A Family Perspective presented by Jennifer Herrington, BS, MEd | Mother of a Lung Transplant Recipient
- 9:55 - 10:10AM Snack & Break
- 10:10 - 10:40AM Infection Control: Living Life Safely Post-Transplant presented by Claire Bocchini, MD
- 10:40 - 11:10AM Role of Nutritional Rehabilitation Pre & Post-Transplant presented by Chloe P. Leonard, RD, LD, CNSC
- 11:10 - 11:40PM Psychological Implications Post-Transplant presented by Thien-An Le, MS
- 11:40 - 12:10PM Social and Mass Media in Transplant: The Good, Bad, and Viral presented by Philip Thrush, MD
- 12:10PM - 1:10PM Lunch
- 1:10 - 1:40PM Planning & Resources for the Financial Strain of Transplantation presented by Alex Guerrero
- 1:40 - 2:10PM Psychosocial & Financial Considerations of Transition to Adult Care
- The Adult Transplant Center Perspective presented by Saira Khaderi, MD, MPH
- The Pediatric Transplant Center Perspective presented by Haley Robinson, BSN, RN, CPN
- 2:10 - 2:40PM Navigating the Pharmacy World: Brand Name, Generic Medications, Manufacturer Changes and Co-Pays presented by Dana Cerminara, PharmD, NS & Tim Humlicek, PharmD, BCPS
- 2:40 - 2:55PM Snack & Break
- 2:55 - 3:25PM Natural Disasters: The Story of Hurricane Harvey and its Impacts on Transplant Patients presented by Lisa M. Stark, MSN, RN, NEA-BC
- 3:25 - 3:55PM Transplant Tourism (When Organs Are Scarce, Recipients Will Go to Extremes in Some Cases to Find Organs!) presented by Nicholas Onaca, MD
- 3:55 - 4:00PM Closing Remarks
- 4:00 - 4:15PM Event Evaluation: To be completed via electronic survey link
Coming from Main Street? Look for TMC parking garage 21 signs.
Coming from Fannin? Look for TMC entrance 9/garage 21 signs for parking.
From the parking garage, take the elevator to the Fourth Floor and follow the directional signage.
Valet parking is also available at the main entrance at 6651 Main St. Houston, Texas 77030.
Parking will NOT be validated.
There are two Houston airports to choose from:
- HOU- William P. Hobby Airport is 12.6 miles from Texas Children's (approx. 25 minute drive).
- IAH- George Bush Intercontinental Airport is 25.5 miles from Texas Children's (approx. 40 minute drive).
Transportation options to the hotel: Uber, Lyft, Taxi from the airport.
Closest hotel is the Marriott in the Medical Center at 6580 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77030
This event is provided by Texas Children’s Hospital.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
This live activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Texas Medical Association. Texas Children’s Hospital is accredited by the TMA to provide continuing education for physicians.
Texas Children’s Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE)
Texas Children’s Hospital is an approved provider with commendation of continuing nursing education by the Texas Nurses Association - Approver, an accredited approver with distinction, by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This continuing nursing education activity awards 6.5 nursing contact hour(s).
Continuing Education for Certified Transplant Professionals (CEPTC)
The American Board of Transplant Certification (ABTC) has approved this educational offering for up to 6.5 Category I Continuing Education Points for Transplant Certification (CEPTCs). CEPTC Provider Number: #917-00
Social Work (SW)
Texas Children’s Hospital is an Education Sponsor for the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners (Provider #1243). This continuing education activity awards .7 contact hours.
Registered Dietitian (RD)
Texas Children’s Hospital is an approved provider of continuing education by the Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Registered Dietitian/Nutritionists (RDNs) and Dietetic Technicians, registered (DTRs) will receive 6.5 continuing professional education units (CPEUs) for completion of the Pediatric Transplant Symposium. The program/material is designated for level 2 CPE.
This activity has been approved by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 7 CCUs for PTs and PTAs. Approval number: 63523TX
Continuing competency/education units have been applied for through TOTA for occupational therapists. Approval is pending. Approval numbers will be sent to appropriate registrants once approved.
Nursing Contact hour certificates can be printed at the end of the survey.
CEPTC, Social Work contact hours, CPEU, and CCU certificates will be emailed after the event.
If you have questions about a certificate, please contact Melissa Nugent, at email@example.com.
CME: No certificate required - Contact the CME office for a transcript if needed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Continuing Education (CE) certificate of successful completion is available only to those learners who attended the activity and signed the attendance sheet. The attendance sheet is used to confirm your presence and authenticity of the provided certificate if you are audited by the Texas Board of Nursing, Texas Medical Association, Texas Occupational Therapy Association, Texas Physical Therapy Association, Texas Occupational Therapy Association, Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners, Commission on Dietetic Registration, or American Board of Transplant Certification.
If you need to cancel your registration for this event, please email email@example.com.
Refunds for paid registrations will be given, less a $5 administrative fee, if you email Melissa Nugent before midnight on April 24, 2019.
No refunds will be given for cancellations made after Wednesday, April 24, 2019.
Clinical Educator for Transplant Services: Melissa Nugent, BCN, RN, CCTC
Please contact Melissa via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with conference related questions.