Michael Scheurer, PhD, MPH
Dr. Michael Scheurer is a molecular epidemiologist at Texas Children’s Cancer Center and in the Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences Program of the Dan L. Duncan Cancer Center at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Scheurer’s research focuses on viruses and immune function as risk factors for cancer development and progression.
His laboratory looks for novel ways to identify and catalog molecular markers of viral infection, including host-virus interactions, as risk factors for the development of cancer. He is actively involved with two large international research groups focused on two rare tumors: the Brain Tumor Epidemiology Consortium and the Childhood Leukemia International Consortium.
Dr. Scheurer is currently working with other researchers and clinicians at Texas Children’s Cancer Center to develop a state-wide study to examine risk factors for childhood brain tumors. He also currently has a research project examining Human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cancers, in particular cervical cancer, including the examination of the HPV vaccine and its effects on cancer incidence. He has an increasing program looking at Human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) and host immune function in relation to pediatric and adult brain tumors, and he also has an interest in the factors that contribute to the poor prognosis and outcome for brain tumor patients, including neurocognitive decline and other therapy-related toxicities.
Dr. Michael Scheurer is a member of the Childhood Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Program.
- Viruses and immune function risk factors for cancer development
- Molecular Epidemiology
- Molecular markers of viral infection
- Host-virus interactions
- Risk factors for childhood brain tumors
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)-associated cancers, in particular cervical cancer
- Factors that contribute to poor prognosis and outcome in brain tumor patients
* Texas Children's Hospital physicians' licenses and credentials are reviewed prior to practicing at any of our facilities. Sections titled From the Doctor, Professional Organizations and Publications were provided by the physician's office and were not verified by Texas Children's Hospital.