Video visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
Simulation-Based Tracheostomy Education for Private Duty Nursing
Texas Children’s is offering a simulation-based tracheostomy education course that will provide learners with an immersive, hands-on experience. The course is designed to improve patient safety, quality of care, and individual performance.
It’s also aimed at improving private duty nurses’ self-efficacy, knowledge, and skills in managing tracheostomy tubes and troubleshooting complications by providing a safe place for nurses to practice skills.
90% of participants will identify at least one expected change or enhancement in care and management of tracheostomies based on information learned during the session.
By the end of the course nurses will have:
- An improved general knowledge of tracheostomies.
- An improved ability to care for tracheostomies in the home.
- An ability to manage tracheostomy emergencies in the home, and be able to demonstrate that knowledge.
The simulation education experience will include:
- Hands-on tracheostomy and ventilator education.
- Online modules prior to hands-on in-person simulation-based education.
- Simulation exercises on high-fidelity mannequins that mimic real emergencies to facilitate skills and real time responses.
- Debriefing of learners to review and discuss the simulation experience, which will allow them to review their performance, evaluate the effectiveness of their actions, and to continue learning.
- A pre- and post-assessment of self-efficacy and didactic knowledge in tracheostomy care and emergencies.
- A small group learning environment (24 attendees maximum).
- An opportunity to earn CNE credits.
Texas Children’s Hospital is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.