The Saturday Wellness Program promotes the wellness of children with and their families through facilitated play and integrated learning. Activities and programs include a variety of games, exercise activities, arts and crafts, group discussions and nutrition classes. Exercise specialists, physical/occupational therapists, child life specialists, dietitians and social workers from Texas Children’s Hospital lead these activities. Children and their families meet on Saturdays from 9 am to noon.
To qualify for the Saturday Wellness Program, a family must have at least one child with special health care needs, including:
- Be between 6 and 16 years of age
- Special health care needs. This could include a BMI greater than the 85th percentile or elevated cholesterol or metabolic syndrome as identified by a physician
- At least one parent/guardian must be in attendance with the child with special needs at all times.
- Brothers and sisters between the ages of 6 and 16 years are strongly encouraged to come as well.
- All those attending are expected to participate in games and activities, and should be dressed in comfortable clothing (tennis shoes, pants or shorts).
- Families are required to be in attendance on the first day of the desired session.
- Families should plan to attend all 4 weeks of the desired session. If you are interested in becoming a part of the Saturday Wellness Program, ask your physician if your child qualifies.
Time and Locations
The 4-week program is held at different Texas Children’s facilities in the greater Houston area. It is offered approximately 3 times a year.
For more information, call 832-822-3613