Video visit appointments available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 11:00pm. Learn More
How do I get an appointment?
You can make an appointment at Texas Children's Department of Radiology one of these ways:
- Your doctor will call us to request your child’s test. Then our scheduling department will call you to set an appointment and give you more information. Call 832-TC4-XRAY (832-824-9729) if our scheduling team does not contact you within 48 hours after your doctor orders your child's test.
- Your doctor will give you the information needed to make the appointment, called orders. Call 832-TC4-XRAY (832-824-9729) to make an appointment.
How should I prepare for the test?
There may be special rules about preparing for the test your child will have. A nurse will call you several days before your appointment to review your child’s medical history, explain any dietary restrictions and talk about sedation (English/Spanish) if needed.
Be sure to write down and follow any directions you are given when you set up the appointment. If you forget or if you have questions, call us at 832-824-9729.
Children are less nervous if they know what will happen during imaging tests, so you might want to talk to your child.
- Explain the reason for the test in simple language your child can understand
- Let your child know you will be there during the test
- Describe what your child will see, hear and feel during the test
- Answer any questions your child has
What should I do the day of the test?
The day of the test:
- Follow any instructions about what your child can eat or drink
- Dress your child in loose, comfortable clothes
- Leave your child’s jewelry at home
- Let your child bring a favorite item, like a blanket or stuffed animal, to help him relax
Take with you:
- Games, books or other quiet activities to entertain your child while you are waiting
- Juice and a snack in case your child is hungry after the test. Bring a bottle if your child takes one
- Copies of previous imaging tests from other hospitals
- Your insurance card
- A list of medicines your child takes
- If you are a legal guardian and not a parent, bring proof of legal guardianship
- A credit card, check or cash in case co-payment is necessary
It is best to leave other children at home. If you need to bring other children with you, bring someone to take care of them while you are with the child having the test. If your child is going to have sedation but has a cold or respiratory tract infection, call 832-824-9729. Here's why the test may need to be rescheduled.
What happens at the hospital?
Download one of our appointment location guides to help you navigate to your child's next radiology appointment.
- Main campus location guide - All three of our main campus buildings can be accessed from the bridge on level 3.
- Community location guide - Find a location convenient to your home.
- Texas Medical Center overview - Find driving directions and parking locations for the Texas Medical Center.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your child’s appointment. If your child is receiving sedation or contrast medicine, he may need to be there sooner.
When it is time for your child’s appointment, a technologist will escort you and your child to the testing room. For most tests, your child will be asked to put on a hospital gown and remove jewelry, eyeglasses, etc.
Although we try our best to stay on schedule, unexpected events sometimes put us behind schedule. If this happens, your child’s appointment may be delayed and take longer than we had planned.