Transfusion Medicine & Coagulation Studies
Transfusion Medicine & Coagulation
The Division of Transfusion Medicine & Coagulation launched in 2009. It was to establish a center in TCH Pathology Department that integrates the disciplines of transfusion medicine and coagulation, proactively monitors transfusion therapies, and provides active consultation to clinical services. Due to the integrated service, expedited work-up of coagulopathy and therapeutic options are immediately available to meet the individual patient’s needs based on coagulation test results. Also, we want to be an active consultant to assess difficult cases through lab testing and/or management recommendation that includes blood transfusion and hemostatic agents..
The primary mission of the Division of Transfusion Medicine & Coagulation is to support the ideals set forth in the Texas Children’s mission statement and to assure operational vigilance through a viable quality program that meets or exceeds the standards as set by the regulatory agencies and accrediting organizations. Our staff is committed to maintaining a high level of integrity, expertise in their field and service excellence in the area of customer service.
Coagulation Studies consults, please utilize the Coagulation Studies Outreach Consult Requisition Form.
Vision for Division for Transfusion Medicine & Coagulation
- Provide extraordinary service to our patients
- Support, guide and educate clinicians in evidence based coagulation workup and transfusion practice
- Create a work environment where staff feels happy and fully self-expressed
- Establish a continuing education program that will empower and promote the laboratory
- Maintain best quality laboratory and blood bank service in a cost effective manner
- Become a leader in transfusion medicine and coagulation
- Provide the right product with the right dose, at the right time, and for the right reason to the right patient
Tests and Services
We provide a variety of laboratory panels and consultations for transfusion and coagulation service. These panels and consultations are aimed to achieve the following:
- An algorithmic evidence-based approach to coagulation workups and transfusions.
- Expert interpretation to complex laboratory results.
- Gauge laboratory response to coagulopathy treatments including transfusions.
- Provide recommendation to ongoing and future transfusion managements.
- Provide direct patients counseling for questions in regard to coagulation and transfusion