At Texas Children’s Hospital we believe that maintaining your child’s educational needs are important. We want you to feel supported in helping your child with their school work while advocating for their educational needs. When a child is hospitalized, keeping up with school work can provide structure, a distraction from illness, and a focus on a future outside of the hospital.
School plays a critical role in every child's life. At Texas Children’s Hospital we offer two different educational programs to meet your child’s individual needs. By participating in either school program, your child can continue to achieve their academic goals and interact with peers.
The Learning Lab
The Learning Lab serves all students who are hospitalized at Texas Children’s Hospital but focuses support to those students not enrolled in the HISD program (see below). The Learning Lab encourages patients to use books and assignments from their home school to work on while they are hospitalized. Your child’s school can send assignments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 832-825-1291.
Our School Coordinator is able to facilitate educational needs with the child’s school and continue the child’s education during hospitalization. This can be particularly important if your child will be at Texas Children’s Hospital for an extended period, will need to make repeat visits, is in advanced academics, or is simply worried about missing school and making up work.
By attending the Learning Lab your child will:
- Receive one-on-one instruction in the Learning Lab or at the bedside by volunteers who are retired teachers, college students, or people who are experts in their fields of study
- Engage in course specific tutoring
- Receive hands on instruction in a group setting
- Receive all accommodations and modifications per their Section 504 or Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
How it works:
- If your child is currently in the hospital, please contact the Child Life Activity Coordinator on your floor or call 61624 to request a tutor.
- The school coordinator will visit with you and contact your child’s school to obtain work and develop an individual plan for your child.
- School work will be emailed or faxed back to the school for grading.
If your child is admitted into the hospital for 4 weeks or more, they have the option to enroll in the Houston Independent School District (HISD) program at Texas Children’s Hospital.
By enrolling in HISD at Texas Children’s Hospital your child will:
- Be educated by Texas certified teachers
- Have access to Connections Academy, an accredited online public school
- Be instructed weekly for a minimum of 4 hours either in the learning lab or at the bedside
- Receive all accommodations and modifications per Section 504 or their Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
To arrange for your child to participate in the HISD School at Texas Children’s Hospital, please contact the Child Life Activity Coordinator or Child Life Specialist on your floor. If you are outside the hospital, please call the school room at 832-826-1624 or email the school program at email@example.com.