Quick Facts and Figures
Why Texas Children's Cancer and Hematology Centers?
- The largest pediatric cancer and hematology research and treatment center in the country
- Texas Children's Hospital is among the nations best children's hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. The Cancer Center is ranked the #1 Center in the Southwestern United States, as well as #1 in Texas
- Specializes in treating patients with pediatric cancer and blood disorders—from infants to 21 years of age
- Treats over 3,060 new patients and conducts 73,700 outpatient visits annually; patients come from 35 states and 26 countries
- Specializes in treating and curing the whole child with the latest advancements in treatment and research
- Is the only pediatric hematology and oncology treatment facility in Houston with the full range of pediatric subspecialty care available in-house, on call 24 hours a day
- 100% of our faculty are board certified in pediatric hematology/oncology. Our staff of 185 faculty and over 800 staff have pioneered many of the now standard protocols for treating and curing pediatric cancer and blood disorders. Physicians are faculty members of world-renowned Baylor College of Medicine, one of the top medical schools in the country
To provide personalized, high-quality, family-centered care to children, adolescents and young adults with cancer and blood disorders; to discover and implement innovative laboratory research and treatment advances aimed at curing and preventing childhood cancer and blood disorders; and to provide world-class training and education for current and future leaders in the field.
Groundbreaking Research and Innovative Therapies
- As a recognized leader in clinical and laboratory research in pediatric hematology and oncology, we lead the fields in translating break-through research findings from the laboratory into the clinic.
- Is at the forefront of childhood cancer research with over 350 researchers in 42 laboratories performing cutting-edge science
- Conducts more clinical trials than any other pediatric cancer center in the nation
- The Bone Marrow Transplant Program / Stem Cell Transplant Program has the largest pediatric transplant unit in the southwest. As one of the premier stem cell and BMT programs in the United States, the program expanded the availability of bone marrow transplant donors, which allows an increasing number of patients to receive potentially curative bone marrow transplants
- The Brain Tumor Program is one of the most comprehensive treatment and research programs of its kind
- The Developmental Therapeutics Program is a major center for the development of novel pediatric cancer treatments. The nationally-recognized program is recognized for its development of immune and vaccine therapies for pediatric cancer.
- The Histiocytosis Program is the largest histiocytosis treatment clinic in the world
- The Leukemia Program is the largest in the country and leads the nation in the development of an innovative approach to treat infants with leukemia that has improved the survival rate from 30 percent to 75 percent
- The Lymphoma Program is the only program in the country with a dedicated focus on childhood lymphoma and lymphoproliferative disorders.
- The Solid Tumor Programs allow patients to receive treatment from doctors with an extensive expertise in the treatment of rare childhood tumors.
- The Cancer Genetics and Genomics Program focuses on the genetic predisposition to childhood cancer, and provides DNA diagnostic studies, screening tests for at-risk families and counseling services.
- The Long Term Survivor Program is one of the only long-term childhood cancer survivor programs in the nation that sees survivors through adulthood
- The Palliative Care Program is a family-centered, multidisciplinary effort that focuses on relieving suffering and maximizing quality of life in patients with serious illnesses.
- The Psychosocial Support Program provides comprehensive psychosocial support through unique arts, music, counseling and recreational programs
- Pioneered the Passport for Care® Application, a comprehensive Web-based application for care of childhood cancer survivors
- The Hematology Center offers comprehensive services for the evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents with blood diseases.
Unique Opportunities for Patients
- The Periwinkle Arts in Medicine Program provides educational and artistic opportunities to patients and their families. The program activities are designed to help heal the whole child. Activities Include: dance and musical theater productions, art projects, songwriting, cultural dance, acting, writing and more.
- Hosts Making A Mark®, an annual, world-traveling exhibit of artwork created by children touched by pediatric cancer and blood disorders
- Is home to Purple Songs Can Fly, which provides an opportunity for patients and their siblings to work with professional composers and musicians to write and record their own songs at our in-house recording studio. The program is unique to Texas Children's Cancer and Hematology Centers.
- Patients are invited to attend Camp Periwinkle, a week-long summer camp which allows time away from a hospital setting. The camp gives patients to experience the joys of childhood in a healthy environment where they are able to engage with patients, doctors, nurses, and members of their support team.
- Teenage cancer patients are invited to attend Camp YOLO (You Only Live Once). The weekend camp is offered twice a year to adolescent cancer patients and allows them to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle with their physicians, nurses and members of the support team.
Recent Blog Posts
Precision Oncology: Changing the Future of Pediatric Cancer Treatment
Texas Children's Cancer Center: Jacob's Story
Histiocytosis: A Comprehensive Overview with Texas Children’s Cancer Center
Asa’s Liver Cancer Survival Story: Beating Hepatoblastoma at Texas Children’s
Behind the U.S.News & World Report Rankings: Cancer Center
Texas Children's Cancer Center: The Largest Pediatric Cancer And Blood Disorders Center In The U.S.
Surgical Oncology at Texas Children’s Hospital
Creating Global HOPE: Addressing Pediatric Cancer in Africa
Eden’s Journey: Surviving and Thriving After Battling a Rare Tumor
Conrad’s Story: Brain Tumor Program at Texas Children’s Hospital
Going Gold at Texas Children's Cancer Center
World Sickle Cell Day event
MIBG Treatment at Texas Children’s Cancer Center
Texas Children's Global HOPE