Before Your Appointment
What to bring
- Your child’s favorite toy or games to assist in the evaluation process
- Juice and a favorite snack in case your child is hungry; bring a bottle if your child takes one
- Copies of your child’s most recent Ultrasound, X-RAY, MRI, CAT scan, and other test results relating to his or her condition
- Any orthoses/splints/braces your child is currently wearing or has been provided in the past
- If you are a legal guardian and not a parent, bring proof of legal guardianship
We recommend leaving any siblings at home to best serve your child being evaluated. We understand this may not be possible and in this case please try to bring someone to care for them while you are in clinic with the team.
What to expect
During your child’s first visit you will meet with the multidisciplinary team providers based on your child’s individual needs:
- Height, weight, heart rate, and blood pressure measurements will be taken
- A review of your child’s immunization record
- A discussion of your child’s medical and surgical history (to include birth history)
- Physical examination of your child
- Information pertaining to your child’s diagnosis and what you can expect as they continue care through our clinic
- At the end of the visit, you will have a plan for your child including: their follow up clinic appointment, any imaging that will assist the team in making clinical decisions, referrals to other specialties as needed, and any therapy recommendations made by the team (e.g. physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy).
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Please allow plenty of time to park and find your way to the orthopedic clinic on the 5th floor of the hospital at Texas Children’s Hospital – West Campus.
We look forward to taking care of your child and providing an exceptional experience at Texas Children’s Hospital.