Our introduction into the amazing world of parenthood… and then our abrupt reality check in the form of a life-threatening congenital heart defect and the successful medical interventions taken at Texas Children’s Hospital which taught us to never take a day for granted. This is our story.
Texas Children’s Hospital is a big place and sometimes it’s hard to see the little things that drive our tremendous reputation. I had the opportunity to sit down with one of my partners, Dr. Seema Mehta from the Division of Gastroenterology, who is one of those drivers of excellence. Dr. Mehta is leading our participation in a national collaborative that’s looking to improve the outcomes of kids with inflammatory bowel disease (crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis).
Approximately 1 in 100 people have an underlying tendency to have recurrent seizures (epilepsy). Drug therapy will only control seizures for 60% of people with epilepsy; the remaining 40% will continue to have seizures no matter what drugs are used. This is called medically intractable or medically refractory epilepsy, and there are at least 800,000 patients in the United States with this condition.
Our introduction into the amazing world of parenthood... and then our abrupt reality check in the form of a life-threatening heart defect and the successful interventions taken at Texas Children's Hospital which taught us to never take a day for granted. This is our story.