Basic Watsu ®
Watsu is a water therapy developed by Harold Dull to create a unique blend of Zen Shiatsu and yogic stretches designed to free the body in water. Basic Watsu is an experiential course, which introduces Watsuchanics (body mechanics in water). In order to focus on connecting to the breath and presence, students are led through all the moves without being required to memorize a sequence.
In this course, students will learn to move various body types through a smooth, flowing 20-30 minute sequencing of Watsu’s basic positions and holds.
- opening moves that are gentle and slow that begin the session and can be adapted to use with each client;
- more dynamic moves that explore range, mobility and stretch and can be adapted for each client.
- closing moves that bring the client into a space of completion, and an increased connection to earth and self.
Attention is paid to the breath, fluidity of movement, proper body mechanics and general knowledge of eastern and western anatomy. Instruction and practice time in the pool is about 15-20 hrs. Movement and sequences are demonstrated then practiced under the supervision of the primary instructor and assistants. The remaining 5 hrs of class time is on land with discussion, meditation, movement exercises, lectures and videos.
Students will learn:
- To coordinate movement and breath;
- To understand body mechanics, body alignment, balanced footing and proper stance
- To move their subjects from position to position in a seamless and continuous way
- To maintain this fluidity of movements through out the session;
- To develop the awareness and skill to ascertain a client’s rhythm, utilizing stillness and dynamic as needed to invite the body into balance;
- To learn basic sequencing and the appropriate applications
- To acquire a basic understanding of Zen Shiatsu principles
- Acquire knowledge of optimum pool requirements for Watsu(depth & temperature)
- To demonstrate professional boundaries and communication skills.
Pearland Natatorium City of Pearland
4141 Bailey Road
Pearland, Tx 77581
24 contact hours or CCU’s through TPTA and TOTA
Cameron West is the founder of Aquatic Integration and owner of the AquaZen Center. She has been a practitioner and an internationally known teacher of Watsu for over 17 years and has been instrumental in promoting Watsu and Aquatic Integration into the clinical therapeutic arena. From 1984-1998 Cameron served as the Aquatics Director at Easter Seals Rehabilitation Center in Ventura, CA. She also served on the faculty of Oxnard and Ventura Colleges as an Adapted Physical Education teacher from 1987–2001. Her work has been featured in 2001 Massage Today and June 2006 The Aquatic Therapist on Aquatic Integration and Substance Abuse. Cameron currently travels all over the world teaching, maintains a private practice and directs the aquatic programs at the Aquatic Integration Institute in Templeton, CA.
12-1 Lunch and change for pool
1-5:30 Pool practice labs
Hampton Inn Pearland
6515 Broadway St.
Pearland, Tx 77581
Contact: Nancy Werner