U.S. News and World Report
Best in Texas. 4th in the U.S.
The 2016-17 edition of Best Children's Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report ranked Texas Children’s Hospital fourth in the country among the approximately 180 pediatric centers. For the eighth straight year, Texas Children's Hospital was placed on the Best Children's Hospital Honor Roll of best pediatric institutions.
To be considered for the honor roll distinction, a hospital must have high rankings in at least 3 specialties. Texas Children's has six subspecialties ranked in the top five, three services ranking second nationally and one specialty – Pulmonology – ranked best in the nation.
Texas Children’s Hospital is 1 of only 11 hospitals on the Honor Roll this year. We are also the only pediatric hospital in Texas – and the southern U.S. – to make the Honor Roll all eight times since the specialty-specific rankings began in the 2009 – 2010 survey year.
In addition to ranking children’s hospitals overall, U.S. News & World Report also ranks the top 50 pediatric hospitals in 10 major subspecialty areas.
Texas Children's national rankings for each subspecialty area are:
#2 Cardiology and Heart Surgery
#2 Neurology and Neurosurgery
#3 Nephrology (kidney disorders)
#6 Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
#11 Diabetes and Endocrinology
About the Rankings
U.S. News and World Report serves as a consumer resource for navigating health care and academic institutions. The U.S. News survey is widely regarded as the definitive yearly ranking of hospitals in the United States and has become a marker for high quality children’s health care.
Texas Children’s Hospital participates along with nearly 200 other pediatric institutions nationwide by filling out an annual survey document with more than 1,500 questions and data elements regarding structure, process and outcomes. The yearly information and data is submitted to U.S. News & World Report, and the results are announced as rankings every year in June.
The U.S. News & World Report rankings are the result of a methodology that weights a combination of outcome and care-related measures such as advanced technology; best practices; credentialing; infection prevention; nursing care; outcomes; and reputation. Together, all of this information is compiled to determine rankings.
Visit the U.S. News website for more information.
- Texas Children’s Hospital ranks 4th nationally among all children’s hospitals by U.S. News & World Report (Press Release)
- Texas Children’s Hospital ranks #1 nationally in pulmonology among nation’s best pediatric institutions by U.S. News & World Report (Press Release)
- Texas Children's Hospital ranks #2 nationally in cancer among nation's best pediatric institutions by U.S. News & World Report (Press Release)
- U.S. News & World Report ranking survey – What’s it all about? (Texas Children's Blog)
- In 2016 Texas Children’s recognized as 4th best pediatric hospital in U.S. (Texas Children's Blog)
Behind the Rankings: Pulmonology
Behind the Rankings: Cancer Center
Behind the Rankings: Heart Center
Behind the Rankings: Neurology & Neurosurgery
Behind the Rankings: Nephrology
Behind the Rankings: Urology
Why our patients choose Texas Children's
- How Texas Children’s Saved Our Daughter By Removing Half Her Brain
- “BE” is BEautiful: Lila’s Story
- Luke’s Story: Fighting Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia At Texas Children’s Cancer Center